There is no shortage of things to do in Bloemfontein this Valentine’s weekend. For those of you who haven’t made your reservations yet, here are my suggestions in no particular order:
Saturday 13 February
If you are looking for a romantic dinner for two:
- Valentine’s Fine Dining with Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber at De Oude Kraal Country Estate and Spa starts at 7pm for 7:30pm, dress code is formal, pre-booking is required via email email@example.com or tel: +27 51 564 0636 | +27 51 564 0733. Cost is R600 per person and includes a bottle of JC le Roux per table.
- Valentines Picnic at Sandstone Sleeper Estate. Enjoy a picnic under the stars. The boat will take you to your island between 17:30-18:30 and only R100 pp for your picnic treats. There will be soft background music for a romantic evening. For bookings contact 082 494 2567.
- Avanti Westdene will have a set three-course menu for Saturday evening as well as for lunch on Sunday. Cost is R250 per person. For bookings dial 051 447 4198.
Breakfast Sunday 14 February
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if you don’t want to wake your partner up with the banging of pots and pans, treat them to a lovely breakfast.
- Koekela Café in Westdene will be serving breakfast from 9am. For reservations contact Gabrielle 073 141 1730 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emoya Estate will be serving a breakfast buffet from 7am ’till 10am at their Basotho Hotel. Costs are R110 per person and includes a selection of juices, coffee and teas. Pre-booking required on tel: 051 436 8471 option 1 or send an email to email@example.com
Lunch and dinner Sunday 14 February
- Enjoy the day with an outside lunch at the Spookhuijs leisure garden at Emoya Estate where the animals roam freely. Two 3-course set menus to choose from at only R250 per person, includes two glasses of sparkling wine and chocolates. Pre-booking required. Contact Joy on tel 051 436 8471 option 3 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Valentines Day Lunch Food and Wine Pairing at De Oude Kraal Country Estate and Spa starts at noon for 12:30, dress code is smart-casual, pre-booking is required via email email@example.com or tel: +27 51 564 0636 | +27 51 564 0733. Cost is R600 per person and includes a bottle of JC le Roux
- Breakfast buffet or lunch at 59plenty between 8am and noon. Cost R100 per person and includes arrival drinks. For bookings contact 082 626 7606 / 051 444 1683
- Flames Restaurant & Bar has two set menus to choose from for lunch until 5pm. For reservations contact 051 492 0044
- Bobs Peanut Butter Shack has snack basket menus for two to share including your choice of their famous milkshakes, ranging in price from R140-R150. For reservations contact 084 376 5831.
- The LBow Room will be serving a 3 course meal on Sunday. You can book for lunch or supper. Contact them on 051 4337433
- Enjoy a Cheeky Midnight Feast with your Valentine at Kerdoni’s Bayswater on Saturday 13 February. It starts at 23:00 and cost R145 per person for a set menu. Booking is essential, contact 074 891 0000 for reservations.
- Fractal, an ad hoc committee of the Friends of Oliewenhuis Art Museum, will again host a Valentine’s Day movie evening on the front lawns of Oliewenhuis Art Museum, where the classic Moonrise Kingdom (PG 13) will be screened on Saturday 13th. Enjoy a ‘bring your own picnic’-style event on Oliewenhuis’ front lawn, and please feel free to dress up for the occasion! Popcorn, candyfloss and cold drinks, as well as Fractal’s fashionable branded shirts and other interesting merchandise will be for sale. Entrance is a minimal R30 per person and tickets will be on sale at the gate on the night of the event, with the gate opening at 17:30. For more information, contact Yolanda de Kock at Oliewenhuis Art Museum on 051 0110 525 (ext 200) or firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Koekela Café has 2 options for take away picnic baskets ranging in price from R220 to R300 per basket for 2 people. Pre-booking is required and can be made with Gabrielle 073 141 1730 or send an email to email@example.com
And something for the singles
- 59Plenty is having a speed dating evening on Friday 12 February starting at 6pm. Costs are R100 per person including pairing. For bookings contact 082 626 7606 / 051 444 1683
Let us know what you are planning for Valentine’s and how it went!